The St. Rose Tavern, built in 1922, is a long standing
landmark in St. Charles Parish. It replaced the Old Red Dog, which
previously occupied this spot until it burned in 1920. Built
originally as the St. Rose Hotel by Charles Elfer, it furnished living
accommodations to workers in the oil industry. The River Road between
New Orleans and Baton Rouge, was also the only route between the cities, and
it served weary travelers also.
Descendants of the Elfer family, still operate the