St. Charles Borromeo Church

St. Charles Borromeo Catholic Church in Destrehan, LA.
Digital photo by John Sheldon Perilloux 9/5/98
copyright 1998-2001
John Sheldon Perilloux
All rights reserved.
 

 

This church was the successor of the Little Red Church, which itself succeeded the Church of St. Charles des Allemands. This present church was built in 1921 and was one of the first accomplishments of Father John F. Basty who had been appointed pastor in 1918 and served as pastor at St. Charles Borromeo until 1949.  Father Basty's 31-year tenure is the longest of any pastor at St. Charles Borromeo, and he did more than any other pastor to build up his church and his school.  He looked upon St. Charles as his personal fiefdom and brooked no interference from anyone. He was a man of little patience but an untiring worker for his parish. 

 Return to Scenes

 


 Return To Main Menu


 

The coordinators for this LaGenWeb site are Jana and Jim Webre
This site last updated 28 Aug 2005
e-mail: stcharlesparish@jwebre.com

These pages copyright 1997-2005  by J. Webre  All rights reserved