The Little Red Church

"The Little Red Church" in Destrehan, LA.
Photo from "The Refinery," 1927 yearbook of Destrehan High School

 

 

First constructed of logs about 1740, the Little Red Church burned and was rebuilt in 1806. 

The new church, was frame, and painted red, thus becoming known as The Little Red Church. It became a landmark for riverboats, about 25 miles above New Orleans,  where boat captains traditionally paid off their crews. This church was in an advanced state of disrepair when Father John F. Basty arrived on the scene in 1918.

In 1921, the church burned again, and the the current St. Charles Borromeo Church was built in it's place.

Back to Scenes

 


 Return To Main Menu


 

The coordinators for this LaGenWeb site are Jana and Jim Webre
This site last updated 28 Aug 2005
e-mail: stcharlesparish@jwebre.com

These pages copyright 1997-2005  by J. Webre  All rights reserved